Business Licenses

Business License Applications/Tax Forms:

Doing Business in the City of Red Bluff - General Information:
All businesses engaging in transactions within Red Bluff's city limits are required to have a current business license. This includes businesses from a home-based office. Business licenses are renewed on January 1st of each year.

Please be advised that in addition to payment of the fee, you must also comply with all other provisions of the Red Bluff Municipal Code, including but not limited to, building, parking, zoning and fire safety requirements.

It is suggested that you check with the City of Red Bluff's Building Department to verify Compliance with the Building and Land Use Codes. 555 Washington Street, (530) 527-2605 ext 3068.

For information on Frequently Asked Questions, please scroll to the bottom of this page.

Business License City of Red Bluff (530) 527-2605
Zoning City of Red Bluff
    (530) 527-2605 ext 3059
Building Codes City of Red Bluff
    (530) 527-2605 ext 3068
Sales Tax Permits State Board of Equalization (530) 224-4729
State Employers ID Numbers Employment Development Department (530) 529-7110
Federal Employers ID Numbers Internal Revenue Service (800) 829-4933
Fictitious Business Name Tehama County Clerk (530) 527-3350
Health Permits Tehama County Health Department (530) 527-8020
Contractor's License State Contractor's Board (800) 321-2752

What is Considered a Business?

According to Section 12.1 of the Red Bluff Municipal Code a business is defined as including "Professions, trades, and occupations and all and every kind of calling whether or not carried on for profit."

New Businesses:
Prior to operating a business within the City of Red Bluff, all new business owners must complete a Business License Application. The application along with appropriate payment can be returned to the City of Red Bluff's Finance Department at 555 Washington Street, Red Bluff, CA 96080. For questions regarding the Business License Application, please contact the Finance Department at (530)527-2605 ext 3010.

Home-Based Businesses:
Any home-based business operating within the City limits is required to have a current Business License as well as an Occupancy Permit to ensure Compliance with the standards set forth in City of the Red Bluff Municipal Code.

Do you need a Taxpayer Identification Number?
Any business operating as a Corporation or a Partnership is required by the Internal Revenue Service to obtain a Taxpayer Identification Number. A business operating as a Sole Proprietor must report the business owner's Social Security Number on the application in lieu of a Taxpayer Identification Number. To obtain more information regarding Taxpayer Identification Numbers, please visit the local IRS office at 1935 Ridgewood Drive, Chico.

Do you need a Seller's Permit?
According to the State Board of Equalization, you must obtain a seller's permit if you are engaged in business in California and sell or lease merchandise, vehicles, or other tangible personal property that is subject to sales or use tax. Making taxable sales without a valid permit is a misdemeanor under California's Sales and Use Tax Law and is subject to fines and penalties.

To apply for a Seller's Permit you must contact the State Board of Equalization at (800) 400-7115 to request an Express Registration package.

Fictitious Name Statements:
If you are working under a fictitious name, you Must file a Fictitious Name Statement with Tehama County Clerk/Recorder (530)527-3350.

Additional Information:
To receive additional information regarding a City business license, please contact us at (530)527-2605. Permits may also be required from the Departments and Agencies listed above.