Date of Meeting: Tuesday, September 20, 2005
Time of Meeting: 6:00 p.m. Closed Executive Session
7:00 p.m. Regular Adjourned Meeting
Place of Meeting: Council Chambers, City Hall
Red Bluff, CA
The City of Red Bluff welcomes you to their meetings, which are regularly scheduled for the first and third Tuesdays of each month. Your participation and interest are encouraged and appreciated. Meeting notices are available in appropriate alternative formats, upon request of a person with a disability. If accommodations are needed for individuals with disabilities, please contact the Deputy City Clerk’s office prior to the day of the meeting.
The Agenda is divided into two sections:
CONSENT AGENDA: These items include routine financial and administrative actions and are usually approved by a single majority vote. Any City Councilmember, staff member or interested person may request that an item be removed from the Consent Agenda and those items are usually considered following approval of the remaining Consent Agenda.
REGULAR AGENDA: These items include significant financial and administrative actions of special interest that are usually approved individually by a majority vote. The Regular Agenda also includes noticed hearings and public hearings. The times on the agenda are approximate.
The deadline for items to be placed on the City’s agenda is 5:00 p.m. on the preceding Tuesday, unless a holiday intervenes. Items not listed on the Agenda can only be considered by the City Council if they qualify under Government Code Section 54954.2(b) (typically this applies to items meeting the criteria as an off agenda emergency).
A. CLOSED EXECUTIVE SESSION – 6:00 P.M.
1. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – ANTICIPATED LITIGATION:
One potential case. Government Code Section 54956.9
2. CONFERENCE WITH LEGAL COUNSEL – EXISTING LITIGATION:
BLACK – Workers Comp Claim # 2002005956 and 2003014967 -
Government Code Section 54956.9
B. CITIZEN’S COMMENT:
This time is set-aside for citizens to address the City Council on any item of interest to the public that is within the subject matter jurisdiction of the City Council. For items that are on the agenda, public comment will be heard when the item is discussed. If your comments concern an item that is noted as a public hearing, please address the City Council after the public hearing is opened for public testimony. The Mayor reserves the right to limit each speaker to three (3) minutes. Please understand that by law, the City Council cannot make decisions on matters not on the agenda and matters of concern will be referred to the City Manager's Office.
WHITE CANE DAYS
D. CONSENT CALENDAR:
1. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
September 6, 2005
2. PUBLIC WORKS ASPHALT GRINDER BID AWARD
Recommendation: That the City award the asphalt grinding equipment bid to Asphalt Zipper, Inc., of Pleasant Grove, Utah in the amount of $65,950 plus tax.
3. 1055 KIMBALL ROAD PAVING, RESOLUTION NO. 67-2005
Recommendation: That the City Council:
1. Reject the Joint Red Bluff High School District Kimball Road base and paving bid.
2. Adopt Resolution No. 67-2005 by a four-fifths vote.
3. Authorize the Public Works Department to complete the 1055 Kimball Road base and paving work in an amount not to exceed $14,000.
4. Accept the Red Bluff Joint Union High School Districts cost offsetting contribution of $5,640 (to be returned to Fund 21 as revenue).
5. Authorize a supplemental budget appropriation of $14,000 in Fund 21.
4. REPORT REGARDING CONTRACT AWARDS – AUGUST 2005
Recommendation: That the City Council accept the report.
5. RATIFY/APPROVE AUGUST PAYROLL CHECKS NUMBERS 18381-18556; AUGUST PAYROLL DIRECT DEPOSIT NUMBERS 6293-6461
Recommendation: That the City Council ratify/approve August Payroll Checks Number 18381-18556; August Payroll Direct Deposit Numbers 6293-6461.
6. RESOLUTION NO. 69-2005 – A RESOLUTION OF THE CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF RED BLUFF ESTABLISHING A SCHEDULE OF FEES AND CHARGES FOR CITY SERVICES – PLANNING DEPARTMENT
Recommendation: That the City Council adopt Resolution No. 69-2005 – A Resolution of the City Council of the City of Red Bluff Establishing A Schedule of Fees and Charges for City Services – Planning Department.
7. RENEWAL OF FITNESS AGREEMENT WITH TEHAMA FITNESS CENTER
Recommendation: That the City Council approve the Agreement with Tehama Fitness Center for $1,299 for members of the Red Bluff Fire Department to continue the annual fitness program.
8. PROPOSED SUSPENSION OF THE MANDATORY USE REQUIREMENT FOR THE FIRE UNIT AND RESULTANT REDUCTION OF OVERTIME EXPENSES
Recommendation: That the City Council:
1. Approve a budget reduction in the amount of $11,589 for Fire Department overtime expenses.
2. Approve the suspension of the Mandatory Use Requirement for members of the Fire Unit at the Fire Chief and the Fire Unit’s request.
3. Direct staff to obtain the appropriate individuals’ signatures on the attached Side Letter to the Fire Union MOU.
9. RESOLUTION NO. 66-2005; AUTHORIZING STREET CLOSURE FOR THE ANNUAL ANTIQUE STREET FAIRE
Recommendation: That the City Council adopt Resolution No. 66-2005 authorizing the street closure and City Parking lot at the corner of Pine and Washington Street for the Annual Antique Street Faire.
10. RESOLUTION NO. 64-2005 AUTHORIZING STREET CLOSURES FOR THE MONSTER TRUCK DISPLAY
Recommendation: That the City Council:
1. Adopt Resolution No. 64-2005 authorizing the street closures and City Parking lot at the corner of Pine and Washington Street for the Monster Truck display.
2. Allow the City to assist with the pre-event Monster Truck “procession” on Walnut Street from the railroad tracks to Main Street and south on Main to Oak Street at approximately 6 p.m. on Thursday, September 29, 2005.
11. TIRE AND E-WASTE COLLECTION
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 8, 2005, 8 AM – 12 NOON
12. MEMORANDUM OF AGREEMENT
CITY OF RED BLUFF/TEHAMA COUNTY SANITARY LANDFILL AGENCY BEVERAGE CONTAINER RECYCLING GRANT - $5,000
Recommendation: That the City Council approve the Memorandum of Agreement between the City of Red Bluff and the Tehama County Sanitary Landfill Agency (JPA #1) in the amount of $5,000 for implementation of the 2005/2006 Beverage Container Recycling Grant.
13. PART-TIME PERSONNEL FOR STREET TREE WORK
Recommendation: That the City Council authorize the use of part-time personnel by the Street Division for tree trimming work for a period not to exceed 1,000 hours during the time period of October 2005 to March 2006 and authorize a supplemental appropriation in the City’s Street Fund 43 in the amount of $12,000 for this purpose.
14. FINAL REPORT, 625 WERNMARK WAY ABATEMENT TO COMPLIANCE
Recommendation: Informational only. This is the final update regarding this Code Enforcement action.
15. YEARLY MEETING OF BUILDERS, DESIGNERS AND HOMEOWNERS HELD BY TEHAMA COUNTY BUILDING DEPARTMENT
Recommendation: Informational only.
E. CURRENT BUSINESS:
1. RETIREMENT OF SERGEANT ROGER MARSH
Recommendation: That the City Council recognize Sergeant Roger Marsh for the twenty five plus years of service to the Red Bluff Police Department, the City of Red Bluff and to the community.
2. OFFICE OF TRAFFIC SAFETY (OTS) AWARD TO SERGEANT KEVIN BUSEKIST
Recommendation: That the City Council recognize Sergeant Kevin Busekist for receiving this award from the Office of Traffic Safety for “Going Above and Beyond” in his efforts for traffic safety.
3. APPOINTMENT OF PLANNING COMMISSION AND PARKS AND RECREATION ADVISORY COMMISSION MEMBERS
Recommendation: That the City Council make the necessary appointments to the Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission and Planning Commission from the applications received.
4. COMMUNITY HOUSING & CREDIT COUNSELING CENTER
5. NOTICE OF PREPAYMENT REQUEST TO PAY-OFF A USDA LOAN AHEAD OF SCHEDULE FOR THE LASSEN VIEW APARTMENTS
Recommendation: Informational Only.
6. LETTER FROM RED BLUFF-TEHAMA COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE REGARDING THE DEVELOPMENT IMPACT FEE STUDY
Recommendation: That the City Council hear the comments by the Red Bluff-Tehama County Chamber of Commerce representatives as contained in their letter regarding the Development Impact Fee Study prepared by David Taussig and Associates and provide direction to staff.
7. RED BLUFF-TEHAMA COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE ANNUAL ACTIVITIES AND FINANCIAL REPORT
Recommendation: That the City Council accept the Annual Activities and Financial Report as presented by the Red Bluff-Tehama County Chamber of Commerce.
8. CHARTER COMMUNICATIONS CABLE FRANCHISE
Recommendation: That the City Council hear the presentation by Charter Communications representatives regarding their services and rebuilding and upgrading of their cable facilities and provide direction to staff to be considered during the cable franchise negotiation process.
9. DISASTER PREPAREDNESS
10. WATER RATE STUDY, CONTRACT AMENDMENT NO. 1
Recommendation: That the City Council approve Contract Amendment No. 1 for the Water Rate Study being performed by Winzler and Kelly in the amount of $4,000 and authorize the expenditure from Fund 52.
11. SIDEWALK REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT POLICY
Recommendation: That the City Council adopt the Sidewalk Removal and Replacement Policy, approve a waiver of the $125 encroachment permit fee for owner occupied residents and direct staff to implement the program.
12. BAKER ROAD, BRICKYARD CREEK BRIDGE
Recommendation: That the City Council authorize staff to proceed with the emergency work necessary to address Caltrans’ requirements for the Brickyard Creek Bridge at Baker Road using the services of MRO Engineers in an amount not to exceed $15,000 and authorize a supplemental appropriation from Fund 21 for the consultation work.
13. WELL 13 ASSESSMENT, IBANK AGREEMENT NO. CIEDB-B04-056
Recommendation: That the City Council accept the Well 13 report prepared by PACE Civil and authorize staff to pursue an IBANK loan agreement modification to accomplish the above described design engineering using PACE Civil.
14. GASB 34 VALUATION PROJECT
Recommendation: That the City Council adopt the attached Infrastructure Valuation Report for City’s GASB 34 valuation project for the 2005/06 Fiscal Year.
15. LEAGUE OF CALIFORNIA CITIES
ANNUAL CONFERENCE RESOLUTIONS
Recommendation: That the City Council discuss and consider providing recommendations on the resolutions for the Annual League of California Cities Conference.
16. RATIFY/APPROVE AUGUST PAYABLES CHECK NUMBERS 49435-49717
Recommendation: That the City Council ratify/approve August Payables Checks Number 49435-49717.
F. COMMITTEE REPORTS/COUNCIL COMMENTS:
Reports by City Council Committee members on meetings held.
Regular Meeting of October 4, 2005, at 7:00 p.m., City Council Chambers.